Surviving Our Office – Cultural References
We’re not like every other agency. Our team is special, because we love to rock what we’re doing every day, and we have a hell of a lot of fun doing it. Just last week we had a wine lunch, bridal shower featuring cupcakes and mimosas and went to a grand opening event for our client.
We have an open-door policy at our office, after just a few hours, you’ll soak up some of our infectious energy – we’re quite funny. We rely heavily on internal banter, occasional happy hours, and a multitude of cultural references.
We love having visitors, before you visit, we highly recommend familiarizing yourself with a few important aspects of our office. Our conversations tend to bounce from one topic to the next quickly. If you want to keep up, reviewing this blog post is a must.
If you follow us on Instagram or know anything about us at all, you’re probably aware that we love dogs. In fact, Kim loves them so much that she currently owns seven. We’re all well acquainted and speak of them as if they are humans, so make sure you know who we’re talking about.
The dogs of 8THIRTYFOUR are:
- Parker James Bode – the big, dopey, blue Doberman who only wants pets
- Buddy Bode – the nearly-blind mutt who wandered in off the streets
- Bentley Michael Bode – a.k.a. “Tubby,” the old Beagle mix who lives for food
- Phoebe Bode – the terrier who wants to be treated like a princess
- Joey Bode – the small, young, energetic Doberman who just wants to play
- Sarge Bode – the terrier (probably?) mix who loves you, but will snap in an instant
- Sammy Bode – the easily-annoyed Doberman who only wants to be left alone
- Lou Miller – the gentle, silly golden-doodle with an amazing Instagram
- Diesel Van Ee – the anxious, attention-seeking Doberman who just wants Mom
Cats are a bit of a controversial topic at 8THIRTYFOUR, but we can’t leave them out (or at least, we’ll include them until Kim notices we did).
The current cats of 8THIRTYFOUR are:
- York Leo – the idiotic, loud, silly snowshoe who yawns when he gets excited
- Washington Leo – the overweight tabby who just wants more food
- Posie Shaffer – the lovely near-kitten who wants to be treated like royalty
Movies & TV Shows
It’s not a typical day at 8THIRTYFOUR unless someone on the team makes a Mean Girls reference. Honestly, all of us frequently insert a movie or TV show reference into any and all conversations.
Here’s a list of our favs:
- Mean Girls (obviously)
- Parks & Rec
- Game of Thrones
- Schitt’s Creek
- The Bachelor/Bachelorette (Our Creative Lead, Chelsea, is a proud member of the Bachelor Nation.)
- Anything with Tom Hanks, really. We aren’t picky.
If you really want to get on Kim’s good side, mention that your favorite song is “Fishin’ in the Dark” by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, even if it’s not. When in doubt, turn to Fleetwood Mac, Mumford and Sons, or Beyoncé.
Do you need more great music? You can win over the hearts of everyone at 8THIRTYFOUR by learning every song on our summer playlist.
Chelsea, our resident yogi, is teaching all of us how to chill out, because we totally need it sometimes. We aren’t exactly experts, but some of our favorites are Child’s Pose and that one pose where you lay down and close your eyes. Yeah.
We love good food. If you spend a day with 8THIRTYFOUR, we can pretty much guarantee you’ll hear a phrase like, “When does HopCat open?” or “I’m going to get Chipotle. Does anyone want some?” Side note: if you even consider suggesting Qdoba – don’t.
Other hot topics include obscure 90s movies, “basic” references (if you get it, you should attend our party), and our favorite Vines (like fr e sh a voca do. Classic). Plus, if it’s a Friday, we’re probably figuring out what patio to do happy hour on. (On the topic of alcohol, be aware that offering Kim white wine is grounds for firing. Red wine. With ice. Always. Thank us later.)
Now that you know how to fit in around here, you should schedule a time to meet up with us. We’d love to talk to you about all of our favorite things.